Research and Teaching Statements
Diana Roman, Peter van Keken, Lara Wagner
November 8, 2017
- Article on Writing the Teaching Statement from Science Magazine
(158.52 KB application/pdf)
- Postdoc Workshop_Research and Teaching Statements .pdf
(41.21 KB application/pdf)
A very informative panel-style workshop was led by DTM staff scientists Diana Roman, Peter van Keken, and Lara Wagner on the subject of writing research and teaching statements. van Keken distributed a 2006 Science magazine article in advance of the workshop as required reading. The workshop was attended by over 30 campus postdocs.
- How to get your application into the top 15, then top 5 pile
- Customize each research statement
- Why is your research important - big picture
- Provide a clear vision for your next five years
- Study the school's teaching statement - how will you fit in?
- Do not overcommit
A Youtube video of the workshop is available.